Planning on changing your old garbage disposal?
Looking for the right one for your septic tank?
If so, you want to be sure to get the garbage disposal that will work for you.
There are so many different models on the market that if you don’t research beforehand, you could buy garbage disposal that isn’t really what you need.
If you’re already feeling overwhelmed by the millions of choices, this guide will help you out.
You’ll get details about the best garbage disposal for the septic system on the market and where you can buy them.
Should You Use a Garbage Disposal System?
A recent survey shows that there are over 20 million homes in the United States using a septic system.
With 22% of the total surveyed home using a garbage disposal, it’s clear that many others aren’t making use of one.
If you are reading this guide, it means you already know the importance of using a garbage disposal system. As well as the benefit it can bring if installed properly.
As long as you are not throwing too much waste into your garbage disposal, your septic tank shouldn’t be burdened.
If you take care of the following, you won’t have a problem with using a garbage system:
- Install the unit properly (making sure it’s properly connected to the dishwasher and plumbing system).
- Learn how to clean the disposal and clean it regularly.
- Even though high-end garbage disposal systems can grind food scraps, they can only handle it if it is small. When too much waste is generated, the system can be clogged up with sludge and grease.
As a summary:
By choosing the best garbage disposal for your septic system, fitting it properly, and cleaning it regularly, you can better manage your kitchen waste.
So What’s the Best Garbage Disposal for Septic System?
InSinkErator Evolution Septic Garbage Disposal
This specific garbage disposal is our favorite. We choose it over others because of it’s abundant features and reasonable price tag!
Just like other garbage disposal systems, it comes with a lot of features that make managing food waste easier.
This unit works with the standard kitchen drains most of which are 1-1/2″.
Also, the septic system disposal has its own drain so if the old one is beaten, you can make use of the one that comes with the disposal.
However, if that’s not the case, you can keep the new one so it can be useful if there is any need for it in the future.
It is important to note that this septic disposal does not come with a power cord.
If you have an older one from your old disposal, you can use that and if you don’t, you’ll need to purchase one when buying.
Which Garbage Disposal is Right for You?
If you are buying garbage disposal for the first time, you may be overwhelmed by the different models out there.
These disposals come with different features and price points, you might want to analyze your needs and how you want to use the disposal.
For example, if you need garbage disposal for heavy use, you need to choose one with a powerful motor such as those that come with 1 HP. They’ll handle all food scraps and are more suitable for a family.
Here is a good visual depicting the different levels of usage. Use it to help you make an informed buying decision.
Below is an in-depth review of the top models you can buy for your septic system:
Reviews of the Best Garbage Disposal for Septic System
1. InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist Garbage Disposal Review
One of the best garbage disposal for your septic system is the InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist. Just like other garbage disposal systems, it comes with a lot of features that make managing food waste easier.
It features a MultiGrind Technology, which uses more grinding stages to ensure a clog-free disposal system. Thanks to this technology, the disposal is able to grind food particles smaller than competing brands.
This grinding technology is backed by a powerful 3/4 horsepower Dura-Drive motor so that food wastes are broken down into fine particles.
Because it’s powerful enough, it can smash light wastes such as vegetables, celery, as well as thick ones like fruits, small bones, etc.
In addition, Evolution Septic Assist uses another technology called SoundSeal Technology to hide any grinding noise during operation so you can cook quietly every single time.
All the noise and vibration is kept behind high-level insulation and vibration-reducing connections, allowing the unit to perform quietly.
This is good for you if you like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and like to spend this time in a hushed atmosphere.
In order to ensure there are no odors emanating from your sink and drain, the InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist comes with a Bio-Charge Technology to support your Septic System.
This enzyme treatment contains a host of natural microorganisms that work on the food waste reaching the disposer.
The Bio-Charge Injection technology gets busy immediately on the wastes, breaking them down to fine particles and covering them in a citrus scent that’s incorporated into the container.
You don’t have to buy a dedicated cleaner or turn to DIY home hacks to fight off the strong smells from garlic, fish, and mustiness.
If you have strong cooking smells in your kitchen, this is a good solution to cure that, without that extra spend.
Another advantage of buying the Evolution Septic Assist is that it comes with a 4-year in-home limited warranty.
This means you can easily call in a service agent from the manufacturer to repair a faulty unit for you. This includes parts and labor and is available especially if there is a factory default with your unit.
The installation is straight forward (though it comes with detailed instructions to help you in setting it up) and you can do it yourself instead of calling in a handyman.
Moreover, you can connect your dishwasher to the septic disposal, allowing you to pound food waste from your dishwasher too – thus keeping the sink neat and free from any clog.
What You Get With Your Purchase
Knowing what comes with your unit and what you might need to add to your order is important. Not only will it mitigate against unnecessary delay, but it also helps you get your installation done quickly.
So, what do you get when you purchase this garbage disposal?
Here is everything that comes in the package for you:
- InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist Garbage disposal
- Discharge tube and sink baffle
- Installation instructions
- Stainless steel stopper, clamp, hardware, jam-buster wrench and bio-charge bottle
- Note: No power cord included with this unit.
This unit works with the standard kitchen drains most of which are 1-1/2″. Also, the septic system disposal has its own drain so if the old one is beaten, you can make use of the one that comes with the disposal.
However, if that’s not the case, you can keep the new one so it can be useful if there is any need for it in the future.
It is important to note that this septic disposal does not come with a power cord. If you have an older one from your old disposal, you can use that and if you don’t, you’ll need to purchase one when buying.
2. Waste King L-8000 1.0 Horsepower Garbage Disposal Review
The Waste King L-8000 is high-end garbage disposal with superior sound insulation, a corrosion-proof grinding chamber, and a highly powerful motor for efficient waste disposal.
Featuring a 2,800 RPM “Vortex” magnet motor is ready to crush all food wastes in your sink and drain. The motor is designed to reduce jamming while offering an energy-efficient speed that rivals the best disposal in the market.
The 1.0 HP Vortex motor can crush the toughest bone in your sink and grind the lightest food particle to the ground.
Because this is continuous-feed disposal, you can toss the waste in while it’s still operating and it’ll take it quickly. Not only that, its stainless-steel swivel impellers move around swiftly and smoothly, preventing any sort of wedge.
The splash guards on the unit are also molded from stainless steel to make cleaning quick and simple. They are also removable for easy cleaning.
Most importantly, this disposal for septic systems comes with all the necessary hardware for installation so you can replace your leaking system as soon as possible.
And because it works with most septic tanks, setup shouldn’t be too difficult if you are doing this for the first time. ‘
If your old disposal is hard-wired, you can use the same setup for the Waste King. Removing the bottom of the unit reveals the power cord compartment.
And according to the manufacturer, you can hardwire it without voiding the warranty. If you are under any doubt, make sure you contact them before installing them.
Extra Safety Feature
Even though the Waste King L-8000 is designed to mitigate against jamming, a reset button is added as an extra safety feature to help protect you from accidents.
In the event of a wedge, a single push of the button stops the disposal and another press puts it back on ready to continue from where it stops.
Weakness But Not a Deal Breaker
One of the downsides of this model is that it’s continuous feed disposal, which means you have to activate it via a wall switch. So, unlike some other models, you don’t turn this on but plug it on.
And every time you want to stop it, you have to engage in this monotonous activity. If that isn’t a problem, then the Waste King L-8000 is a good option for you.
What’s in the Box?
The package includes the Waste King L8000 garbage disposal, a 32″ power cord, and mounting hardware.
One of the advantages this model has over the InSinkErator Evolution Assist disposal is that it comes with its own power cord so you don’t need to purchase another one, thus saving you another trip to the store.
While most people use their old power cord when none is supplied with their new purchase, many find themselves scuttling to buy one, adding to their overall cost.
3. Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal Review
The Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal is one of Waste King’s most popular models. It comes with lots of features that make it suitable for use with a septic system.
Installation of the Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal is straight forward. It comes with the popular EZ mount, which is foolproof and makes installation easy.
If you are looking to install the unit yourself and save money, you want something that’s simple to set up.
Fortunately, this garbage disposal is suitable for that. It’s easy to mount and installed and if you are doing it for the first time, there are Youtube videos that can take through the installation steps.
The permanent magnet motor on the disposal features a high-speed 2600 RPM, which is powerful enough to grind through most of the thicker food wastes.
Also, it’s motor is the 1/2 HP version, which is a good size for family use. With each pound, you get more power and with more power comes more granular food waste.
When the disposal can reduce the waste into a light, small particles, waste can go through the drain much easier, keeping your septic system clean and free from sludge.
Note that you should only use this for light and medium applications. For heavy use, you might do well with garbage disposal with a larger motor.
The unit also has stainless steel and Celcon sink flange, which keeps its natural form and prevents corrosion from occurring. Moreover, the garbage disposer has a lifetime corrosion warranty.
This means that you can use it for a longer period of time with little or no attrition, thus giving you the best value for your money.
In terms of pricing, it is affordable and comes with one of the longest warranties you’ll find on garbage disposal systems.
Not only is it from the USA, but the manufacturer Waste King is a reputable brand with decades of providing high-quality waste disposal products.
If you have a standard-sized septic tank, this is good garbage disposal to use. You can hook it up to your dishwasher too, for a hassle-free installation.
Moreover, it is compact and portable and doesn’t take much space under the sink, which makes it suitable for users who want to save space.
Now that you have gone through the reviews of each model, you may still be wondering about how to choose one. If so, here is a good summary of how to select the most suitable one.
Choosing the best garbage disposal for your septic system shouldn’t be difficult if you know what to look for.
As long as you have a standard-sized tank, most of the disposers in this guide will work with the system you have in place.
If you are looking for the cheapest of all the garbage disposals on this list, choose the Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal. It comes with a powerful motor for a powerful grind, a good warranty for quality assurance and a fast and easy mount system for easy installation.
In the middle of the price point is the Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal. The advantage of this one is that it doesn’t require any electrical expertise as it comes with a pre-installed power cord. You don’t need to purchase any extra cord or fumble with one to install it the right way.
On the other hand, the InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist is the most powerful of the three, featuring a 3/4 Horsepower motor. If you have a bigger budget, this one is the best bang for your money. Aside from the powerful motor, this disposer features SoundSeal technology for noise reduction and a two-stage grind mechanism for reducing food waste to the tiniest bit.
Take a look at these garbage disposal from Amazon also:
- PREP SERIES: Designed for those who slice, dice and peel as part of basic meal prep, and need a little more help with cleanup
- POWERFUL GRINDING: 2,600 RPM, ½ horsepower Vortex motor provides fast, powerful grinding of everyday food scraps and helps reduce jamming
- NOISE REDUCTION: Designed with SoundSHIELD sound-deadening insulation
- SIMPLE SWAP: Fits most existing assemblies, including other brands; includes pre-installed power cord
- SEPTIC SAFE: Safe to use with properly sized septic tanks
- HIGH-SPEED MOTOR: The 1 HP, 2800 RPM (115v) permanent magnet motor is sound-insulated and jams less
- STANDARD 3-BOLT MOUNT: The all-metal mounting system is compatible with most existing 3-bolt mounts including InSinkErator and Moen
- LIFETIME PROTECTION: Lifetime Limited In-Home Warranty
- NO ELECTRICAL EXPERTISE NEEDED: Pre-installed power cord, no electrical work required
- DURABILITY: All stainless steel grind components extend disposal life
- Environmentally safe in-ground pet-waste disposal system
- For 2 large dogs or 4 small dogs; works like a miniature septic tank
- Galvanized steel tank; foot-operated lid opener; made in USA
- Includes Digester
- Measures 13-3/4 by 13-3/4 by 15 inches
- Safer Disposal with Silver Guard: Powerful Silver Guard magnetic ring captures most metal objects before they enter into the disposer chamber.
- Torque Master Powerful Grinding System: Instant, high speed-torque powers through tough scraps and food waste. Your disposer’s system works to balance...
- Quiet, High Powered Performance: Designed for sound reduction with partial sound shell.
- Slim & Compact Design: Slender design saves space under the sink.
- Designed for those who love to get creative in their kitchen and need the strongest cleanup possible
- 10-year limited warranty with in-home service guarantees help is there when you need it
- Integrated motion-activated lighting makes the under-cabinet space easier to use
- Simple Swap – Fits most existing assemblies, including InSinkErator brand
- Pre-installed power cord – a savings over models where cord must be purchased separately; Cord easily removes for optional hardwiring
- ✅【COMPACT GARBAGE DISPOSAL】- Compact size design can be connected to a single sink or a double sink, save your kitchen space to meet your various...
- ✅【HIGH QUALITY MOTOR】- HISSUN garbage disposal adopt german advanced technology with a 1 HP (750W) high speed direct current motor, which has a 3500...
- ✅【SPECIAL STEEL GRIND SYSTEM】- The 1 HP garbage disposal grind system is made of double stainless steel blades and titanium stainless steel chamber,...
- ✅【EASY TO HANDLE VARIOUS GARBAGE】- (Fit for 2-6 people family) 1500 ml large capacity grinding chamber can meet the daily needs of kitchen waste...
- ✅【EXCELLENT FAMILY GIFT】- The newly upgraded removable splash baffler can not only prevent objects from falling into the garbage disposer, but also...
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories