If you have a large baby on your hands, you should get the best baby swing for older babies. As a mom, you know how much you want to care for your baby. And selecting the right product for your baby is one sure way of doing that.
This is probably why most parents ask different questions before settling on a swing:
- Do manufacturers make a swing for OLDER BABIES?
- Are there baby swings for BIGGER/HEAVIER babies?
- Is there baby swings up to 50 POUNDS?
If you happen to have this question yourself, then this busy mom’s guide is the answer to your questions!
Why it is important to choose the best baby swing for bigger babies?
One of the incredible things we all love to watch about babies is how fast they grow. But as they do that, they outgrow all their shoes, clothes, toys and many other things that they own including their baby swing.
The swing you got your baby when they were still small starts becoming uncomfortable and can no longer accommodate them.
When this happens, it’s good to get your big boy or girl a swing that is bigger and can comfortably accommodate them.
Because most manufacturers do not make swings to accommodate babies more than 20 pounds, it becomes hard to source for a good swing for your baby.
For this reason, we looked for the best swings that can comfortably accommodate your older baby and reviewed them for you.
But First…What’s the Best Baby Swing for Big Babies?
Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing
This specific baby swing is the most popular among mothers!
It offers a wide range of features for both heavy and newborn babies.
The seat on the swing is fluffy and plump, which keeps both heavy and light baby comfortable.
Not only will it accommodate your baby, but it’ll also feel pleasant even when your baby stays in for long.
A baby swing without a few sounds to entertain your baby might feel boring and your baby might want out in a short period of time.
Fortunately, there are 10 classic melodies and an additional 5 nature sounds to keep your baby calm and soothed.
Good Speed Range
There are 6 speed ranges on the swing to choose from. This makes it easy to find the pace that will soothe your baby’s mood every time and once your baby gets used to it, you can leave them alone and go handle something else in the kitchen.
Want To See Other Baby Swings on the List? Read on…
Before getting into the reviews and comparison of different models, here is an overview of the best swings for big babies:
Best Baby Swings for Older Babies (2021 Update)
1. Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing and Sleeper
This is one of the best swings you can get for your older baby. With one smooth pull, the glider inclines into a sleeper providing a comfortable position for your baby to rest.
The Graco DreamGlider comfortably accommodates babies of up to 30 pounds making it suitable for your fast-growing baby.
It features six gliding speeds which allow you to switch between paces till you find the one your baby likes.
Another feature about this swing that always comes into consideration when choosing a swing is how safe and secure it is for your baby.
It has a three-point harness plus cover which ensures the total safety of your baby.
It comes preinstalled with ten melodies and five nature sounds which keep your baby soothed and entertained.
2. Graco Soothing System Baby Glider
This Graco baby soothing system holds up to 30 pounds. It’s one of the most versatile swings for a baby and for the mum as it comes in four modes. That is:
- Gliding swing which holds up to 30 pounds. It features six gliding speeds, two recline positions and two vibration settings ensuring your baby’s comfort. It also features a canopy to protect your baby from light.
- Gliding bassinet- holds a maximum of 15 pounds.
- Portable bassinet which allows you to carry your baby from room to room keeping a close eye on him or her.
- A portable bouncer features two vibration options and a canopy to shield your baby from too much light. It holds up to 18 pounds
It also has a 5-point harness system to keep your baby safe and nature sounds plus melodies to keep your baby entertained.
3. Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer
The Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and bouncer is another swing that works perfectly for older babies. It comes in two modes, i.e., as a swing and a bouncer.
It can support up to 30 pounds which makes it perfect for your older baby.
The DuetConnect LX features a 5-point harness system that keeps your baby safe as they relax in the swing.
It has two vibration modes, six swing speeds, ten melodies and five nature sounds which gives you a variety to choose from to keep your baby comfortable and entertained.
4. Graco Duetsoothe Swing + Rocker Sapphire
The Graco DuetSoothe is another swing that accommodates your older baby comfortably.
It has two modes, i.e., swing and rocker. It has a weight limit of 30 pounds
The seat is readily detachable from the swing lets you use it as a rocker.
This makes it easy to carry the baby around the house to keep a close eye on him or her.
The DuetSoothe has six swing speeds and two vibration settings which keep your youngster comfortable.
It also features three seating positions that are comfortable and safe for your baby.
5. Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing Abbington
The Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing holds up to 30 pounds which makes it perfect for your older baby.
It features smooth side-to-side swings that soothe your prince or princess.
The Simple Sway Swing has six swing speeds and two vibration settings to choose the best settings for your baby.
It also has ten melodies, and five nature sounds to entertain and soothe your baby.
The swing keeps your baby safe using the built-in 5 point harness system all through.
Here are some pros and cons of this swing:
FAQs on the Best Baby Swing for Bigger Babies
Can you purchase a baby swing up to 50 lbs?
The truth is that there are not many swings that can accommodate a baby weighing 50 lbs. At the time of this writing, some manufacturers claim that you can get a baby swing with 40 lbs capacity.
However, it’s often discovered that these swings can’t really hold up to that, which can jeopardize the safety of the baby.
If your baby is weighing 50 lbs, then you want to choose something else for your baby. Most baby swings go up to 30 pounds. Currently, there are no baby swing up to 50 lbs.
Instead of depending solely on baby swings, you can choose other products for your baby that will easily accommodate up to 50 pounds. A baby carrier or stroller often do a better job than a swing at this stage.
In conclusion, there is no baby swing that holds up to 50 lbs. If you come across a commercial or marketing material that claims there is a baby swing that holds up to 50 lbs, you should disregard and not believe it.
It’s most likely the company behind it is lying to get you to buy their swings. As a mother, safety should be at the top of your priority, not budget or any other thing for that matter.
What’s the baby swing with the highest weight limit?
There is no single baby swing with the highest weight limit. However, there are a couple of swings with very high weight limits such as the Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing and Sleeper.
Most swings in this category have an upper limit of 30 lbs. Anything above this is probably not true in reality as most swings will break down above the 30 pounds weight limit. If your baby is nearing 30 pounds, the best thing to do is to stop using swings for your baby and choose a baby jumper, a carrier or a play yard.
This ensures your baby is safe and well protected and has something to accommodate his/her growth. If there is a baby swing with a weight limit of 40 on the market, most parents of bigger babies would definitely get one for their baby.
Unfortunately, there is no quality baby swing with a 40 lbs weight limit. Of course, some moms go for those that claim this, but if you care for the safety of your baby, you should stair clear of those.
What’s the best baby swing for big babies?
There are a couple of baby swings that are suitable for big babies. One of them is the Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing Sleeper. Another is the Graco Soothing System Baby Glider and the Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer, all of which have a weight limit of 30 lbs.
Most babies would have outgrown their baby swings when they reach 30 lbs so the swings that can accommodate up to that is best suitable for heavy babies as they tend to have more weight and faster growth.
Is there a baby swing for over 20 pounds?
Yes, there are thousands of baby swings for over 20 pounds on the market. There are also popular models that most parents have found to be great for their heavy babies. Most products from Graco, Fisher-Price, Ingenuity, and a few others are the best in this category.
They produce baby swings that not only have higher weight limits but are also very durable and sturdy. If you want a straight recommendation among these brands, then Graco is the best option as most reviews on their products are filled with positive reviews.
There are also a lot of swings from Fisher-Price with high weight limits, however, most of them have substantial negative reviews, which is a turnoff for most parents.
As a result, you should stick with Graco baby swings if you are looking for a baby swing for over 20 pounds.
What of a swing for babies over 25 pounds?
The same thing applies here. After a lot of research, I’ve discovered that 25 pounds are generally the maximum manufacturer recommended weight limit.
Although some parents don’t follow this guideline, which is just a way of endangering their babies. If you want a swing for babies over 25 pounds, choose one of Graco Soothing System Baby Glider and the Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer.
They are both great and offer a lot of support for heavy babies.
What about a baby swing up to 30 pounds?
There are only a few of these on the market. If you read the guide above carefully, you’ll see that all of the swings we’ve recommended are from Graco and all of them have 30 pounds as the weight limit.
There are other baby swings up to 30 pounds on the market, of course. However, the majority of these are filled with negative reviews from parents so we stair clear of them and so should you.
buy one of the recommended models above if you are looking for a baby swing up to 30 pounds.
What is the Graco swing weight limit?
Graco’s swing weight limit varies, with the lowest being 5 lbs and the highest being 30 lbs. There are a lot of swings in between these extremes and each has different capabilities and features.
Most swings from Graco can accommodate up to 25 pounds and a few can take up to 30 pounds. The majority of the swing from Graco can be used with babies of 5 lbs and above.
What’s the recommended baby swing weight limit?
Different manufacturers have different baby swing weight limits. If you have a large baby, you can search for a baby swing high weight limit so you can see the highest weight your baby can grow up to before it becomes unsafe to use a baby swing.
If you are looking for baby swings that hold the most weight, you want to look at those that can accommodate up to 30 lbs weight.
Most of these are from Graco and the few others from other brands don’t match up in terms of quality and durability.
The baby swings that hold the most weight should be the ones that have the best construction and quality as they tend to be used for longer than the others.
Therefore, it’s important that you are purchasing from a reputable brand and that the swing be high quality. This is why we often recommend Graco above others as they produce some of the best swings on the market.
So, if you are looking for a swing for heavy babies, choose one of those models we reviewed above.
What is the weight limit for baby swings?
The weight limit for baby swings vary and it is largely dependent on the manufacturer. Also, all swings have a weight limit so it’s not surprising to see manufacturers recommending a weight limit for their baby swings.
The highest limit we’ve seen for baby swings on the market is 30 pounds. Some others claim to serve babies above this level, but they are mostly garbage and not reliable.
I’m looking for a baby swing for 6-12 months?
If your baby is around the age of 6 to 12 months, you probably should be looking for something else to put your baby in.
Some big baby swings can accommodate up to 6 months but anything above that can become unsafe for your baby.
One thing that most parents forget is that there are a lot more baby products on the market that can replace a baby swing. So, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to want to get stuck with a baby swing. There is no reason to do this.
What’s the fisher price swing weight limit?
Fisher-Price is one of the few companies that make big baby swings in the industry. Some of their products are good for large babies as well as smaller babies.
The highest weight limit on a Fisher-Price swing is 30 pounds. This is true for other manufacturers as well. If your baby weighs 25 pounds or more, you should be able to find a swing from Fisher-Price that will take your baby.
Do they make swings for larger/older babies?
Yes, most manufacturers make swings for larger/older babies. This question is general in that there is a need for defining what’s large. If we are talking about bigger babies, then we want to look at swings that have the highest weight limits.
These swings are often the best to purchase for larger babies because of their sturdy construction, durability and high weight limits.
It should be noted that the swings that are considered the best for larger babies are those that can accommodate up to 25 or 30 lbs. Fortunately, these exist on the market and can be found in our review above.
Is there a baby swing with the highest weight limit out there?
Yes, there are a couple of baby swings that can be considered as those having the highest weight limit out there. One of them is the Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing Sleeper.
The swing can accommodate up to 30 pounds, which makes it suitable for larger/bigger babies. If you have a big baby, I recommend you buy this as it is one of the best on the market aside from the fact that it has a high weight limit.
Can you get the best baby swing for a 6-month-old?
Yes, there are baby swings for 6-month-old babies. However, before you decide on a baby swing for 6 months and older, you have to confirm the age thing from the manufacturer.
Most manufacturers in the industry will tell you what age your baby can use the swing and at what age it is unsafe to use the baby swing.
If not, a simple query will reveal what the manufacturer considers the safe age for your baby to remain in the swing.
What if my baby is too big for a swing?
If your baby is too big for the swing, the best thing is to discard the baby swing and look for something else that you can take your baby.
Fortunately, there are such products on the market. Baby carrier, play yard, stroller, bouncer, are some of the other products you can get for your baby once it outgrows the swing.
Final Words on the Best Baby Swings for Older Babies
Now that you are at the end of this review, the next step is to choose one of the swings above. If you are still undecided, then here is a good overview of how to choose the right one for your baby.
Here are a few options with different power options, price differences, and features:
If you want a compact swing that comes with both plug-in and battery options, the Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing and Sleeper is the best option for you.
Not only will you have the convenience of using a battery and only replacing when it’s weak, but you can also decide to save on battery cost and use the plug-in option. If you like this flexibility, then buy the Graco DreamGlider Swing and Sleeper.
The other option is the Graco Soothing System Baby Glider, which also comes with the two options of battery or plug-in.
However, it’s more expensive than DreamGlider. If you don’t mind the price difference, you can compare the features of both and choose the one that suits you the most.
However, if you don’t like to buy a battery-powered swing for your baby, then choose the Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing.
This swing has only the electric option and can be converted from a swing to a bouncy infant seat. It’s also more suitable for frequent travel and movement from one room to another.
A good alternative to the Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing is the Fisher-Price Deluxe Take Along Swing and Seat. They come with the same price but the swing offers much more flexibility than the Ingenuity brand.
The other advantage it has over the Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing is that it can accommodate your baby up to 25 pounds, so you can use it for a longer period of time and enjoy it better than the Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing.
I hope you’ve been able to choose the best baby swing for older babies. Let me know if you have any questions!
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- 5 unique motions & speeds
- Bluetooth Enabled – control motion & sound
- 4 built in sounds & MP3 plug-in
- Smooth, woven nylon material
- Machine washable seat fabric
- The Ingenuity Abernathy Portable Baby Swing is a foldable mini swing designed for easy transport; portable & lightweight while providing features &...
- Plays soothing music & nature sounds; extra quiet automatic swing for more peaceful moments; parents can select the desired timer setting of 30, 45 or 60...
- The included USB cord creates plug-in power convenience and saves money on batteries; 4 D batteries required when away from a power source (not included)
- Machine washable seat pad & headrest for easy cleaning; soft fabrics for ultimate comfort on at home or on the go; removable headrest to grow with baby; 2...
- Perfect portable swing for babies aged 0-9 months; minimum weight 6 lbs; maximum weight 20 lbs; assembled dimensions: 22 (l) x 23.5 (w) x 23 (h) inches
- Two swinging motions to help soothe baby: rock baby side-to-side like a cradle or swing head-to-toe like a traditional baby swing
- Six swing speeds, 16 songs, soothing nature sounds
- Two-position recline with 3 adjustable seat positions: right-facing, center, left-facing
- Easy to convert to different swing positions—just press button and turn
- Machine-washable seat cover with deluxe My Little Snugabunny body insert and bunny ears head support
- Emulates parents’ natural side-to-side sway in 5 distinct speeds
- Bluetooth enabled to play your child's favorite music from your phone
- Touchscreen display is smart, intuitive and easy to use
- Lightweight and portable – Easy to put together and pack down in seconds for simple storage or transport
- For babies between 5-20 lbs who cannot sit up or climb out of swing unassisted Seat pad and head support are machine washable and reversible for...
- 【Save Space & Portable】This baby swings has a very powerful folding function and saves space. You can easily put it in the gap between the furniture....
- 【Easy to assemble】: This baby swing for infants is very easy to assemble. You can complete the assembly within a few minutes according to the...
- 【Safe, reliable and comfortable from cpsc】The 5-point seat belt protects babies falling down.This swing for baby with rocking chair has passed a series...
- 【PLAYING & EXERCISE】The stuffed toys train babies how to touch and grab things. The swing speed of stage 6 can be adjusted arbitrarily.Comfort babies...
- 【Beautiful & practical】when our baby enters this infant swing, you will find how harmonious our family is. This is the charm of our product design. At...
- 【6 Extra Quiet Motion】This baby swing features 6 speeds that you can easily find a suitable swing speed for baybies and upgrade motor allows to gently...
- 【Stable & Safe Baby Swing】Compare to others 0.7inch steel tube, we use 1.2 inch steel base frame & seat tube provide an extra stability and safty for...
- 【Compact & Portable Infant Swing】Ergonomics seat and plush head support for baby just like lying in mother’s arms, all made of skin-friendly and...
- 【Entertainment & Practical Accessories】Baby Swing Comes with smart music and nature sounds, engaging mobile with two soft toys hang on leaf shaped toy...
- 【Timer Function & Two Power Option】Timer function range from 15 mins, 30mins, 45mins and 60 mins. Default is 60 mins. Two power supply methods: USB...
- AN AWARD WINNER - Winner of the 2020 NAPPA Awards, the Zazu provides babies with a safe and fun space to lounge in and parents with some hands-free time....
- 5 SWINGING SPEEDS - The Zazu features multiple swing speeds that help you, calm baby. Try them out and find the speed/s that works best for your baby....
- BLUETOOTH ENABLED MUSIC PLAYER - allows you to play your baby's favorite nursery rhymes and songs from your phone. Create a calming environment with nature...
- ENTERTAINMENT INCLUDED - The Zazu comes with 2 attached soft toys that entertain and engage baby. Watch your baby coo, grab and interact with them...
- SAFETY FEATURES - The Zazu features a 5-point harness, anti-skid and easy-to-clean seat pad that helps keep your baby safe; It also comes with a removable...